Sunday, July 4, 2010

Popcorn in Theatres - Heart Attack Special

After we came home from the theatre last night, I read in the news that by consuming that medium bag of popcorn, I had taken in the equivalent of fat in 3 Big Macs and 12 pats of butter! Yikes! I didn't think too much about it as I gingerly asked the young lady at the counter re the buttery oil - "Isn't it bad for me?" She responded with a sly, "Oh, no, of course not." Of course, she gets paid to say that. There are some theatres that actually sell real butter as a topping for your popcorn, but according to the article I read, most use coconut oil that is high in saturated and trans fats - the stuff that clogs arteries. Heart-Attack Special!

Before we left for the theatre, I suggested I bring baby carrots and sliced apples. I did not have time to do that and the theatre has rules against such things - so what to do? Just starve or not go.....or petition the theatres to start providing better treats, like small bags of baby carrots and fruit. I know some theatres do. Just not the "cheapo" ones like we go to.

This is a concern to me, because I am always promoting healthy habits for my individual clients and students in my classes at Addiction & Psychological Services, Inc. in South Jordan, UT

No comments:

Post a Comment